Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Progress on Empires in Space
    Todays work consisted partly of installing and configuring this forum. The other part was putting texts from the game into the database, so that theses texts can be easily changed or translated. The way the texts are implemented in JavaScript allow switching the language without the need to reload the whole page.
    That might help to get feedback on the quality of translations - be free to report bad texts in the bugs section.
    I just uploaded a new version. This version contains the changes made in the last two months.

The interface changed a bit, both menus to the right are now removed.
    The game menu (ships, colonies, research and so on) is now available as buttons in the upper right corner.
    The buildings-menu is now on the left side, as long as the surface-view of a colony is active.

New features are also implemented regardind colonies. They now have population, energy-output per turn and construction points. Buildings have to be active to produce something, and enough population and energy have to be present on the colony to activate that building and keep it running.
    They can also be deactivated, so that no population and energy is needed for that building (and nothing is prooduces by it).
    If a building isn't needed anymore, it can be razed and you get the ressources (but not the construction points) back. This can be done from the building detail (just click on a building on the surface).
    Construction points are also new. At the moment they stack between turns, so that a player who wasn't online for some days can easily build multiple buildings or even ships.

Several bugs are removed, as always :)
    A rather interest bug occured when the sql server didn't optimize a sql-statement inside of a trigger. Outside of the trigger the code did run fine. The not satisfying, but working solution was to force the optimizer to use the order in which I provided with-statements and joins (OPTION (FORCE ORDER)). I am tempted to post that bug on stackoverflow.

Since most of the solar system had been rather boring (just planets and moons), i changed the code of the system generator and created a new worldmap. Now about 10% of all solar systems have no asteroid beld, 30% are with one, 30% are with two and the last 30% are with three belts. The belts may be partly outside of the solar system, so that they are only visible in the corners of the system. Later there will be nebula regions on the star map, and suns inside that nebula will have nebula fields in their solar system.
    During the backup and upload I discovered that the database grew from 100mb to 280mb - this comes from the 40.000 Solar Systems which now contain more elements due to the asteroid belts.

At the moment I am restructuring the quests, buildings, goods and researches. For that reason, the current version is stuck at intro-quest 11. The single ship that is already built can be used to scout the surrounding space.
    Under the settings menu is a button to do a turn evaluation, providing new movementpoints for the ship.
    Quite a lot got implemented in the last few months.
    An overhaul of the combat system was done.
    Turn evaluation now disables buildings if not enough resources, energy or population is available.
    Units movement has a better optic, units now turn towards the direction they are moving.
    Some new researches and buildings are added.
    A second demo is online, showing how the game can look like at turn 35.
    A new game is now in the testing phase. This time with currently 4 players, but i hope that we will get to 8 at the weekend.
    Some of the new features: Research tree and more research. Combat rules between ships and Colony loss to an attacker (which occupies it).
    Multiple Graphic-Sets per Hull-Class.
    A lot of bug fixes and minor features.

A lot of bugs surfaced due to the testing game. Additionally some tutorial-quests got tweaked and labels got corrected.
    Beginning with tomorrow I will try to work on new features. Numbers of colonies and ships will get capped, with some researches to change the cap. Later, a more elegant solution for this problem will be implemented.
    I did some work on the alliance system, whci will soon be completed. Changed the look of the contacts table, other tables will soon follow. Clicking on the new header will change the sorting order.
    The alliance system is working. One feature is missing yet (communication channels per alliance) but the others are implemented.
    Most data-tables now have a unified look (and unified source code to generate the tables).
    Some new graphics are implemented.
    The research tree got a Firefox fix (or rather, a bug that was ignored in Chrome and got fixed, so that Firefox now shows the researches with a gradient). The help texts of the researches got implemented as tool-tips.
    A new research area ("Civilization") is added to the research tree, containing researches which affect your whole empire (colony-count, production modifiers, growth modifiers and so on).
    And as always uncounted bugs...
    New game is up, and also both demos updated.
    Github is used now as a bugtracker.
    The communication panel is updated to the new look. That took quiet some hours...
    As a big change, the Civilization-researches now a affect how many colonies are allowed to you.

• This forum will probably be shut down. The account creation (with the google captcha) has a bug, allowing spammers to flood the system.
    Thus, registration is only done per invite now.
    And also, I just don't have the time to manage a forum - I need to program ;)